PhotoArts Santa Fe and APIS 2001

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/07/01-02:01:40 PM Z

PhotoArts Santa Fe July 6-15, 2001

Alternative Photographic International Symposium (APIS) 12 14, 2001

July 6th through 15th of 2001 promises to be an exiting event. Santa Fe New
Mexico has a rich photographic heritage and over the years has developed a
very strong arts and photography infrastructure.
Organizations such as the following will be participating in the event:

The Museum of New Mexico
The Santa Fe Photography Workshops
The Center for Visual Arts Photographic Projects Symposium
Bostick & Sullivan Alternative International Photographic Symposium
The Marion Center
The College of Santa Fe
The Santa Fe Community College
Magnifico
The University of New Mexico
Andrew Smith Gallery
PhotoEye Gallery and Bookstore
Scheinbaum and Russek
LewAllen Gallery
Twin Palms Publisher
Arena Editions
And on and on and on. I can't begin to list everyone involved here.

More details can be found at www.photoartssantafe.com.

If you have a web site we would be extremely pleased if you would link us
to it.

This year's biannual APIS will be part of PhotoArts Santa Fe. Bostick &
Sullivan played a pivotal role in organizing the event and Melody Bostick
is the Project Directory of PhotoArts Santa Fe.

APIS will be held at St John's College July 12,13,14.

Ok, at this stage the program is still a little tentative and I am sure
all of you know how these things have a way of changing, but this is what
is lined up for this year's event:

Hans Bjelkhahen will do a segment on Lippmann Photography. Huh? I saw it
last Fall in England and I still don't believe it. Dr. Bjelkhahen has
modernized Lippmann's 1908 Nobel Prize winning color photographic process.
(For one thing Hans does not use the pool of mercury in the camera!) BTW,
it's the only Nobel ever awarded for photographic research. (Dr. Land was
forever ignored.) Lippmann was able to make and view full color photographs
by using a single black and white emulsion on a piece of glass. One
exposure and no filters!

---Right, and little green fairies from the black forest helped him do it.

Sandy King is doing a segment on carbon printing.

Bill Winkler on palladium on glass.

Ernestine Ruben our honored guest this year will do a retrospective on her
work in alt photo and paper making.

Art Chaklis on his explorations into the Fresson process.

Howard Efner on Sodium Chloroplatinate as a contrast agent in pt/pd printing.

Willis Lee on photogravure

Stuart Melvin in Gum over platinum.

An educator's forum

Gene laughter and the bromoil gang again.

And maybe Meridel Rubenstein on her life's work.

We are trying to put together a couple's collaboration forum.

There will be a reception and a blind print exchange but no banquet this
year. (So much else going on!)

We will soon have the APIS registration information available on the
Bostick & Sullivan web site: www.bostick-sullivan.com

I thank you and again, if you can, link us to your site we would sure
appreciate that.

--Dick Sullivan

Note address change!
Please change your address book to richard@bostick-sullivan.com