Modifying PMK for Rotary use?

From: Tox Gunn (tox@remarque.org)
Date: 01/09/01-07:53:14 PM Z

Hello-
In the hopes of getting closer to doing
Pt/Pd printing and still having an Ag option,
I'm learning pyro, and am moving towards the
Jobo 2509 reels on a CPE2 from my homemade
film tubes. Through poor planning and
oversight, I've got 100L worth of PMK pyro
kit from Photographers Formulary that I'd
like to use if possible.

TXT w/ the PMK at normal rotationrate
fogs the base (this is known, but was
worth trying). Using a blanket gas as
suggested by Hutchings didn't do anything that
I could perceive. (CO2,N,Ar blend)
Was using distilled water, so fogging not
related to something lurking in my water
supply.

I've got EDTA (hoping to try Pt/Pd once I get
hard enough negs to work with.
I've got Ascorbic Acid (SF Bay Area, land of
earthy crunchy, grocery store item).

It looks like I should be able to goose one
of my PMK kits with some EDTA and Ascorbic
and get something *close* to the Rollo
formulation. Since I can't effectively reduce
the amount of bisulfite in the PMK concentrate,
does anyone have suggestions on how much of
each I should add? I'm assuming that if I
use the levels from the Rollo formula with
that much bisulfite in the mix that I'm likely
to dissolve/complex part of the image.

Failing that, is there anyone on this list that
lives in the SF Bay Area and processes w/ PMK?
I dislike the idea of simply oxidizing it down
and handing it to the waste disposal folks,
would like to see it get used. If goosing it
is unlikely to prove successful and there is a
local user who understands the hazard and is
interested in using it, I'd be happy to hand it
over and just order the Rollo kits I should
have picked up the first time around.

Thanks in advance,
Tox