Starch Printing (was re: leaf prints)

From: Andrei Harwell (AHarwell@hhpa.com)
Date: 01/11/01-10:51:58 AM Z

I heard an article on NPR about something called "starch printing" which was
a "gentlemen's pursuit" at the turn of the century.

The article said that fresh leaves were laid out in the sun with a resist on
top of them -- where the sun penetrated the resist, starch formed in the
leaf.

Once exposed the leaves were died in iodine (which only adheres to the
starch?).

Has anyone tried this or have any add'l information about this process? I
would like to try it out, but there is a distinct lack of leaves in snowy,
wintertime NYC.

Thanks,

Andrei Harwell