Re: b/w negatives from Daylab slide printer

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam_pine@cape.com)
Date: 01/17/01-08:51:08 PM Z

Marek Uliasz wrote:

> Pam Niedermayer wrote:
> In 8x10 Polaroid film holder I can use only 8x10 Polaroid film (no equivalent to
> positive/negative 55 film).

That's true; but what's the problem with that in the context of using
a Daylab? It's the same regardless of how you enlarge a negative.

> > > I understand that there are other problems here in addition to using
> > > Daylab as an exposure unit:
> > > - a general problem of projecting color slides on b/w negative film
> > I don't know why there would be problems projecting color slides onto
> > T55; but you could project onto color 4x5 or 8x10.
>
> You can find some related discussion in the archives of this list. Here is a quote
>
> from William Paterson message:
> "You can produce an enlarged negative from a transparency. The problem
> that you run into is that most transparencies have a density range that is
> much higher than a B&W negative used for normal printing."

So that means that you have some density compression in the resulting
negative relative to the transparency. Again, no difference regardless
of how you enlarge the negative. It would be interesting to know
whether the flash version of the Daylab (35 +?) would allow you to get
more, less, or the same density.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer