Re: desktop negatives

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01/27/01-07:36:02 PM Z

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> ... This is the single coat, multiple negative /
> multiple exposure system that has been discussed.
> ... This is the multiple coat, multiple negative approach.

Over the past year I have worked on two methods of making a digital
negative.

One, making three negatives of low, mid, and high density ranges
(scanning each partial range separately) and sandwiching them together
to print as one single negative.

And two, making three negatives to emphasize the low, mid, and high tone
portions (scanning full range with different gamma) and exposing them
one at a time onto a single coating.

Neither method was able to produce an acceptable Pt/Pd print. This also
gave me high expectations that an appropriate printer, driver, and
quad-inks might provide the solution I am after. Also note that duotone
or quad-tone is not the solution alone since these will only use the
CMYK inks anyway; what is needed is the 4 grays inks.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/