Re: Copper chloride

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 01/28/01-04:32:20 PM Z

> >Subject: Copper chloride
> >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> >

> >Any great chemists out there know how to make copper chloride from
> copper
> >sulphate and sodium chloride?
> >

> >R. Gary Hall
> >Infrared and lith prints...
>

> Hi Robert,
>
> It cannot be done, at least not easily. Mixing solutions of copper
> sulphate and barium chloride in the correct proportions would do the
> trick but that wasn't your question. It would be best to buy it from a
> supplier.
>
> Alan Elliott

Of course this is correct, but you will find that a mixture of copper
sulphate and sodium chloride will work in some formulae that specify
copper chloride - and sometimes copper sulphate will do just as well on
its own.

When I did etch bleaching years ago all the recipes I found listed
copper chloride but copper sulphate seemed to be just as good.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/