Re: Desk top paper negatives - wax?

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 01/30/01-05:24:09 AM Z

> > Just wondering (as I'm new to the list and have not read all the archives)
>why
>> don't y'all use the semi transparent 'paper' that was used for technical
>drawings
>> (in the pre CAD aera)? Don't know the english word, translatred from dutch
>it would
>> be something like "chalk paper". It comes in a vary of qualities, from
>plain paper
>> to PE- or PP-coated (the backside that is). The surface seems to have a
>very fine
>> "dust like layer" on it that absorbs the ink quickly, so no drying
>problems.
> > Ingo

Yes, Ingo, sometime ago I reported to the list my experience with
inkjetting on vellum paper. In my opinion vellum gives the best
paper negatives. (I much prefer these to film.) But since vellum
doesn't absorb ink as readily as paper does, you may get some smear.
This can be avoided by tinkering with the transfer curve (in
Photoshop). After a few test runs you will get nice paper negatives
with good densities and no need for waxing. Try it out! -- André