RE: On metal

From: Robkin, Eugene (erobkin@uwc.edu)
Date: 01/30/01-09:48:09 AM Z

Some circuit boards come pre coated with a photoresist. There are two
general kinds with lots of variations. The first becomes insoluble with UV
exposure and the other soluble. If you are buying old stock of the first
kind or new of the second then you may be dealing with a tough coating of
some sort.

The resists used in the electronics industry sometimes require fairly nasty
solvents to remove. Not likely to be something simple like hot water.

You can get boards without any coatings and these should be fairly easy to
clean. About the same as cleaning copper etching or gravure plates.

There are lots of nice polishing metal cleaners around but when you are done
with those you likely will have some sort of coating on the copper which
will require removal. If that happens to be a silicone coating of some
sort, and many are, then your project is doomed anyway. You may as well use
the old standard artists methods in the first place.

There is no royal road to geometry nor to shiny copper plates. The only
genuine elixir I know of is made in Scotland and can only be used for
polishing psyches.

Eugene Robkin