RE: Art, livelihood, and survival

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 07/05/01-10:54:50 AM Z

While I haven't gone the poor starving artist route - I did spend a few
years as a poor starving student :)

The one expensive thing about art, is the equipment needed to produce it
is often expensive and beyond the means of someone just eeking out a
living

There is a good non-profit artist run photography center here - The
Photographers Gallery. I was able to get access to a good darkroom,
library and other stuff by doing a lot of volunteer work for this
organization.

Without this I would never have been able to "do photography" while I was
a student (and later under-employed graduate )

There are centers like this in most major cities in Canada - don't know
about elsewhere.

These centers let someone serious about art practice it without having to
buy all the expensive equipment.

They also brought in some really good alternative process people that gave
workshops :)

Gord
Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2