dyed silk, inkjet negs, etc.

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/07/01-02:47:29 PM Z

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> > From there we went to the Fashion Institute of Technology, where the
> > museum had a show of dyed silk by a master Japanese dyer, whose name I
> > confess I have not remembered (difficult for us gringos). This was one of
> > the peak esthetic experiences of the year, if not the decade.
>
> Was this the landscape kimonos of Itchiku Kubota? I saw a show of his stuff
> at the Museum of Natural History in DC and was also bowled over.

Kimonos !!!! Incredible works of art. I saw an exhibit in LA a few years
ago and began to acquire kimono books, hoping somehow the genius would
wear off on me. I have however come to the conclusion that to do work of
that level you must be SECURE IN A TRADITION, as witness Korean & Chinese
ceramics, Japanese prints, screens, kimonos, and of course the inro....

Our western tradition (at least today) is that each person must invent his
or her own tradition -- and the severest criticism is that it's like so
and so. It's OK to hark back to earlier art, but still, the imperative is
to "make it new" (in the words of .... Harold Rosenberg? .... Jack--
you'll know whose mantra that was... Clement?) Given that each person has
to start from scratch, it any wonder so much modern "art" is crude?

(But my first "alt" print combined design from a kimono in paint
with a VDB print & wasn't bad for a beginner.)

I haven't got the clipping with the name of this dye artist, & it's not
yet in the listings (Thursday's Times mentioned the show -- ours is
already recycled, but I'll watch for it.) The first room was simply hanks
of silk thread with the materials of their dyeing, and tapestries in
sculpted (3-D) silk, inspired by natural scenes; second room had dyed silk
and dresses (contemporary) made from lengths of dyed silk... I rarely
covet a mere dress... but these called to me. Anyway, the colors were a
revelation. Maybe I won't be able to make them work in gum, but I plan to
try.

Meanwhile I grapple with prelims... getting printable negs from the 1160.
So far I find many obstacles. I'm glad to see so much knowhow on the
subject here.. The Epson list was amazing, but also stupefying -- a
maelstrom... and inkjet *negatives* not really there...

Questions soon...

cheers,

Judy