Re: keeping on topic

From: Juan Riera (jriera_@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/10/01-04:16:14 PM Z

> What I gain from this list is not just a strict set of parameters to
follow
> more than methodology and attitude.

Sorry, I can not refrain myself...
I have been following this list for a few months. This is a very particular
place, as when one arrives expects to learn the techniques the masters are
using. You can find here Jeffrey Mathias, Dan Burkholder, Katharine Thayer,
Sandy King, Thor Bols, Judy Seigel, Joe Smigiel, Dick Sullivan, Carl Weese,
Chris Anderson, and many others (sorry, should I cut and paste all names?).
This is a though effort reading a regular flow of messages when you are out
for a couple of weeks as I sometimes do. For people like me with a medium
knowledge of english language, it is not easy to follow the fine humour
sometimes flows between the lines (Judy, specially ;-)

And the tricks and the techniques are there, for sure.
But the thing you come to discover soon is some rare kind of group, with
plenty of love and hate, or should I say passionate? for their art... It is
difficult to say what is on topic or not, as I have come to see I am getting
to know the real person behind the e-mails (or I suppose to)
I have read about old battles that sometimes become even rude, about the
artist's way of living, about flat cost on Boston, and even about hotmail
use and abuse, and this is not exactly on alt-photo topic, but yes, it tells
a lot about the real people behind.
Hard work for our moderator, Gordon, but nice group. Sometimes it seems like
a friend's chat on the backdoor, and I am not sure everybody is conscious
this is read all over the world, but I tell you for sure I like as it is.
And I know I will be rewarded some time on my afterlife for the hard time I
took reading all those messages... ;-)

Sorry, I always took longer to explain myself than necessary, but I felt I
should tell you about it.
So, let people talk about himself and his tools, be it alt-, ink, bromoleum,
photogravure, pure silver, platinum or the like. I think the good thing is
that we learn about ourselves each day a little bit more.

Saludos,
Juan Riera