helios & other pigment info

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/11/01-07:35:42 PM Z

George says,

> Someone should write a detailed description of how different
> manufacturers describe their watercolour pigments.

The best book on watercolor (aka watercolour) paints is probably The
Wilcox Guide, published in 1991 & already somewhat out of date. We (I &
others) have discussed it several times on the list.

To sum up MY opinion: it has a wealth of info but is so bacocked in its
organization (ie, little discernible organization, also no index) it's
very hard to dig out what's there. Mine cost $5.95 at Pearl on closeout --
maybe you'll find one in a book search. And, until something else comes
along it is WELL WORTH HAVING for a gum or other pigment printer (you were
right, Peter Fredrik, and I was wrong -- and you may never hear that
sentence from me again!).

Meanwhile, sorry to say, but in my experience, the "wealth of information"
on website below (which I haven't visited)-- if it's the one includes
lists of "staining" pigments & other official info on watercolors --
simply DOES NOT APPLY TO PIGMENTS FOR GUM. For instance, the Daniel Smith
catalog lists "staining" for its watercolors, but whatever the criteria
are for that determination, they don't mean diddle for gum printing.

For example, pthalo blue gets rating for strongest staining (4), but it
has proven to be almost the best clearing pigment in gum printing, in all
brands I've tried.

> http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html
>
> I think you'll find a wealth of information there.

George also says,

======================
  The lack of standardization in pigment descriptions by
some manufacturers is disconcerting. There ought to be a law ...
The label on the tube says "M*** T/O 180 azo pigment" but I don't have a
clue what any of that means, other than perhaps there is an azo dye in the
tube.

There are some standardizations as recommended for instance by Artists
Equity (which puts out or put out a newsletter edited by Joy Turner Luke,
the *color lady*), but there's no rule making folks comply -- and it suits
some mfrs not to.

Linel is the watercolor line of Lefranc & Bourgeois, about which Wilcox
says,

"Ingredients are given on the tube & in the literature. The value of the
information varies from being accurate to vague. Meaningless terms such as
'Azo pigment' find their place...[and] the all important Colour Index
Numbers are not given."

After searching several times (the book is VERY hard to search) I find
under "miscellaneous yellows" the following LeF Bourgeois: "Helios Yellow,
180: A strong, semi-transparent green-yellow, giving a useful range of
values. Reliable and handles well, semitransparent."

The actual pigment is PY97 Arylide yellow (of which every maker has a
version). Lightfast is 2 (1 is the best) and rating (Wilcox's overall
personal assessment) is 3. Highest possible is 4.

as they say on the alt-photo list,

hope this helps,

Judy