Re:Pthalo and staining (was: helios....)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/16/01-05:45:09 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> But I should have qualified my comment that I thought the thalo would
> stain more without size. Paper used for the FIRST time ("virgin") often
> clears well. After it's been wet, the nap of the paper is raised, & the
> surface size from mfr washed off, then I find (generally) it stains more
> if not sized.

Could be, but I don't think that's an essential point of controversy,
since I think most would agree, and your test showed if I'm reading it
right, that in general unsized paper tends to stain more than sized even
if it hasn't been soaked previously (BFK has the last laugh; that paper
is out to prove everyone a liar, one way or another). I chose to test on
unsized paper because I wanted to give the pigment every chance to show
its staining potential. I can't think of a reason why anyone would want
to print on previously soaked unsized paper, but I did this morning run
a test on the back side of the paper I ran the stain tests on the other
day, and it didn't stain any more than the fresh paper stained.

My uber-point in publishing my stain test results was that, given that
test results and observations vary wildly across experienced and
accomplished gum printers, novice gum printers should never take
anyone's test results as law but should make their own observations in
their own situations and draw their own conclusions.
Katharine

.