Re: pyro literature

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 07/17/01-07:29:46 AM Z

I would like to thank Judy for the complimentary remarks regarding my
article on pyro developers that appeared in Post-Factory #4. Let me
also direct your attention to an excellent piece on pyro by Carl
Weese that was published in Photo-Techniques just a few months before
my piece appeared in PF. I don't have on hand the full bibliographic
citation for Carl's article but perhaps someone on the list does?
Carl and I shared quite a bit of our research in preparing the two
articles so there should be no surprise that we are in general
agreement about most matters regarding pyro development.

There is, however, one area in which my experience does not match
that of Carl's, and that is in the use of ribbed tubes (of the color
print development type) with pyro development. I have used these kind
of tubes for several years, for developing 7X17 and 12X20 film and
have never experienced any uneven development at the point where the
ribs touch the film. My technique is very simple. Load the film in
the tube, soak in plain water for 5 minutes, then develop for the
required time on a rotating motor-base, lifting the tubes off the
base every two minutes for about 10 seconds of vertical agitation to
avoid bromide drag. Most of my development over the past several
years has been with Pyrocat-HD, a pyrocatechin/phenidone developer
described in PF #4. However, I have also developed film in the drums
with both PMK and ABC+ without, so far as I can determine, any
detrimental results.

Finally, regarding Pyrocat-HD, I am now recommending the addition of
4g of EDTA per 1000ml of Stock Solution A. This does not impact
developing times but with certain water conditions has proven to be
*cleaner* acting.

Sandy King