Re: Paper Negatives

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 07/18/01-06:13:02 PM Z

I think we are all in the position of still finding the right printer/ink
combination. It could be that the Epson 1160 and the Piezography
software/inks may be the one, but until I prove the results are suitable, I
can't say which paper is best.

However, I have had good results with two papers - Epson Backlight Film and
Weyerhaeuser Satin Inkjet. I use a non steam iron on low heat with canning
wax (commonly referred to as paraffin here in the US) to make the paper more
translucent. The resulting negs seem to produce Pt/Pd prints with times
very similar (perhaps 10-15% longer) to prints produced with standard film.

The problem with these negs (to date) is that there is always some area
which lacks continuous tone, even at high resolutions. I have seen results
that appear to overcome the problem - when I finally feel good about a neg I
create in this way, I will report to the list.

BTW, Larry Roohr informed me of a source for the 1160 (thank you Larry) and
I ordered 3 of them. If you want more info, contact Burce Jackim
geodatasys@worldnet.att.net - I believe the price is $325 plus $29 S/H
(they are in Cleveland OH.

Nick