Re: tray processing vs jobo

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 07/20/01-01:47:32 AM Z

 From my experience there is nothing wrong with Beseler drums for film
processing and they are available on ebay or through used suppliers
at a fraction of the cost of Jobo Expert Drums. There have been some
reports that the ribs of some of the drums like the Beseler ones
cause uneven development with staining developers at the point where
the ribs contact the film. However, I have used this type of drum
extensively with staining developers and do not believe this has been
a problem for me. However, be sure to pre-soak the film for about
five minutes before processing, perhaps with a dilute solution of
alkali like sodium carbonate or sodium metaborate instead of water.
Also, when developing film on motor bases like the Beseler or
Unicolor bases you should remove the tube from the motor every couple
of minutes and give it a bout 10-15 seconds of up and down agitation,
otherwise the constant agitation fore and aft will cause bromide drag.

Sandyd King