Re: bromide drag

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/21/01-07:13:10 PM Z

Sandy,

In case I haven't mentioned it here, you also have to watch out for a
'sneaky' streaking that only shows up in certain printing methods. That is,
I've done large negs in ABC+ that looked perfect on a lightbox, printed fine
in silver, but showed clear drum-rib-streaks when printed in platinum by UV
light. Whether they would show up in other UV sensitive processes would take
investigation.

If this sounds really weird (it seemed weird when I first encountered it)
there's an analogy to something I've seen with Newton rings. With smooth
surface films (like Ilford's) my NuArc vac frame makes world class Newton
rings when the pressure comes up, ruining silver prints. But when the print
material is Pt/Pd, the rings are clearly visible to the eye, but don't
print. They are apparantly invisible to the Pt/Pd paper, or to put it the
other way, they exist at a wavelength the eye, and silver paper, sees, but
the UV sensitive material does not.

It could be that there are combinations of print drum/developer/film stock
that will perform flawlessly, but I've never gotten reliable flaw-free
results from the Jobo print drums and ABC+. Expert Drums, for the sizes they
accomodate, have performed flawlessly for me. I'm just happy tray processing
works so well.---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: