Re: homemade tubes and fixer, etc; hazards of bad ventilation

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/21/01-09:11:20 PM Z

Shannon Stoney wrote:

>So, if you make homemade tubes of PVC, all processing has to be done in the
>dark?

Use instead of the white PVC either black ABS plastic or gray tube of
the type used for electrical conduits. Both come with a wide range of
fittings (caps, couplers, etc.) that will allow you to make a
light-tight tube. Home-made tubes work well for smaller negatives
(4X5 or 5X7) as you can easily snap an end cap on and off. For larger
film (8X10 and up) I would recommend that one use film drums over
home-made tubes because it is really difficult to snap an end-cap[
off the the 3-4" diameter tubes you would need for 8X10, 11X14 and
larger film.

>> You may be able to fashion something like the BTZS tubes, see:
>> http://www.darkroom-innovations.com/BTZS_Film_Tubes/btzs_film_tubes.html
>
>The BTZS book tells how to make PVC tubes in the back of it. I don't have
>it with me so I don't know if it says you have to use them in the dark. But
>it makes sense that you would, because you'd need threads, like the ones
>you buy have, to get a light-tight seal I would think.

Actually, no, as a snap-on end-cap provides a good light-tight seal.
There are fittings that allow you to put a threaded coupling on ABS
tubes but I think it better for various reasons to use end-caps.

As for fixing, this needs to be done in a tray to make sure that the
anti-halation layers gets dissolved. However, fixing can be done with
the lights on if you use an acid stop bath.

Sandy King