Re: making casein

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/24/01-08:58:34 PM Z

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Rosae Reeder wrote:

> If that is household ammonia, yes.
> Rosae.
> make sure it is not the foaming kind.

Lukas says household ammonia in Germany is about 9% strength. It doesn't
say on the label in the US, but I've been told it's 4 or 5%. Does anyone
know?

"Strong ammonia" or ammonium hydroxide bought from chem supplier is called
.880 -- if memory serves that's 28% (or was it 38?). Whichever, it's
STRONG, I used it for the silver plating formula but had to aim fan right
at it when mixing. (The actual plating operation used such a small amount
it was OK.)

When buying in supermarket be careful not to get the perfumed kind -- vile
beyond words ... also avoid "sudsy" ammonia (probably same as "foaming"),
another booby trap.

Judy