Re: Black Spots in Ziatype

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/01/01-10:25:53 AM Z

David,

Iron is the most likely culprit. Eeensy weensy little pieces of ferrous
metal can cause black spot. I once had client who a case of spots that was
caused by cutting the paper with a box knife and a steel ruler. The knife
shaved invisible particles of iron onto the paper. Had another client who
makes cameras while making prints. Steel wool particles shed off his shirt
onto the paper. A hair dryer grinding up its fan, rusty pipes overhead, all
at one time or another having caused the iron spots. Of course iron in the
paper can cause it too.

--Dick