RE: titration & gold toning

From: ken watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 06/01/01-03:34:51 PM Z

$5 sounds about right. Look for a home brew store or wine making store close
by.
That is what they are for, so there is not a real correlation based on the
scales they use inside the hydrometer. But you can figure it out:

To find out how much silver nitrate you SHOULD start with distilled water
and silver nitrate apart. I should mention here not all distilled water IS
distilled water. If you make it yourself , only then you know. If you buy
distilled from a store and it turns cloudy, Quickly send it to me.....well
you could wait a while and it will clear up with black specks on the bottom
of the container. Mix a small batch first to see. If you use tap water the
cloudiness is guaranteed and there is enough chlorine to make silver
chloride to where I wonder if any silver will remain in solution..

Then measure the correct amounts and combine. You would then pour this
solution into the Hydrometer container and add the hydrometer and take a
reading. I assume you are doing an Alt process that requires this solution
and they are about all the same , around 12%. As I said my hydrometer reads
about "60" a friends seems to read "70". The bath gets depleted and still
works below a "50" reading so this is where I add back silver nitrate.
Usually if you have to much silver nitrate you just end up washing it down
the drain during clearing.

SO what are you doing?

If you need to make silver nitrate THEN you need nitric acid and some
silver. Just boil the two it on the stove...NO NO just kidding. No one
should mess with the stuff.