Re: The book previously known as Spirits of Salts

From: Matthew Hoffman (mhoffman2@sprynet.com)
Date: 06/05/01-08:01:57 AM Z

Sandy,
    It's common practice for publishers to re-release books with new titles
or covers. When a title moves to a new publisher (with different priorities,
sensibilities, and marketing concerns), you can bet something's going to
change. Sometimes the text is revised, but that depends on the reason for
the re-release. A new editorial or design director may decide that the
original is dated or "fatigued," and they'll give it a facelift...and
changing the cover is the cheapest way to do it.
    You're right, it can be inconvenient if you get stuck with a duplicate
with a new face. But in the 10 years I spent in publishing, readers'
convenience never seemed to top the priority list.
    -- Matthew