toning salt prints

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 06/06/01-12:28:56 PM Z

I have a question about using borax gold toner for salt prints:

I have solution of borax toner which may now be at least six weeks old.
Last time I used it - after fixing/drying - it gave my prints a fairly
neutral-cold black colour. But its colour has changed since some time into
a quite deep violet.

I would use this toner again to get the black, which a fresh borax toner
does not seem able to deliver, and would have to add new gold chloride to
make it usable again. Now, my question is: can it be used in this
condition, or would it be a waste of gold chloride to add it?

Does anybody have experience with this condition?

Lukas