Re: The book previously known as Spirits of Salts

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 06/09/01-12:30:27 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 6:31 AM
Subject: The book previously known as Spirits of Salts

> Has anyone noticed that Spirits of Salts has reappeared with a new
> publisher (SilverPixel) and a *new* title (Alternative Photographic
> Processes, or something close to that)? I know because a friend purchased
> the book thinking it was a new publication and was very surprised to learn
> that it was none other than the old Spirits of Salts, with no apparent
> revisions or changes. I would be personally quite irritated to find that I
> had wasted my money on another copy of the same book, save for the title
> change. Sounds like questionable publishing practice to me, or am I
missing
> something here?
>
> Sandy King>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Clarification re Spirits of Salts

When Our UK publisher Aurum Press did a deal with Silver Pixel the latter
made it conditional that the name and cover be changed.
No change, no deal. It appears that Silver Pixel asked a number of US
wholesale booksellers who said the American book buying public wouldn't
understand either the title or the cover! Despite our protests we didn't
want to pit ourselves against the weight of the US book trade.
We are pleased to see that the French language edition of SoS recently
published retains the original cover and is called " L'Esprit des Sels" - a
direct translation. Randall Webb