Re: Basic chemistry question

tonyascrizzi@juno.com
Date: 06/09/01-07:46:55 PM Z

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:53:15 -0600 bmaxey1@juno.com writes:

> Are you the least bit aware of what can happen? This can be a
> dangerous thing to do, and I say FORGET THIS APPROACH. Overcharging a
battery
> is a potential accident waiting to happen. Here it is being suggested
> that you try to adjust strength by a method that is BAD NEWS. DO NOT DO

> THIS!!!!!
>
> Just buy the acid you need from a chemical supplier.
>
> HCM!

If you understood what I was saying, you would have noticed that I DID
suggest purchasing new acid. But there are people out there who for
whatever reason just want to experiment to gain an understanding. The
information I gave is 100% correct and safe. And in case you have not
noticed by my signature, I build electric cars and of course drive mine
daily, (I do not own a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle). Proper
maintenance of flooded lead acid batteries REQUIRES a periodic overcharge
every week to keep the acid from stratifying. In the summer, the internal
battery temperature can reach as high as 130 degrees although I like to
keep it around 110.

Since the acid is usually available in either one gallon or five gallon
containers, it is not the best choice to purchase this amount IF you only
need 16 ounces, no matter how inexpensive it is. If it does not do what
one is looking for PLEASE, PLEASE neutralise the acid with baking soda
(until it stops fizzing) before disposal.

My current electric vehicles are...

1995 Toyota Tacoma 120 volt system using 40 Trojan T-105 batteries, 120
mile range and 95+ mph top speed.

1987 VW Golf 96 volt system using 16 Trojan T-125 batteries, 70 mile
range and 75 mph top speed.

1981 VW Rabbit Factory Prototype 96 volt using Trojan T-145 batteries, 60
mile range and 80 mph top speed.

These electric vehicles are recharged by a 1000 watt hour solar panel and
during off peak natural gas grid commercial power. I have been working on
electric vehicles and batteries since 1977, I can still see and have all
my limbs and fingers, I have not had any of my batteries explode or
otherwise behave in a unacceptable manner, (except old age failure).

Do not put down the people who wish to experiment. Great things will be
learned from what they do, even if it results in failure. If it were not
for this experimentation, we would not have the wonderfull things we have
today, photography included. I would like the people interested in
experimenting to have fun, learn from your mistakes and successes and
above all, practice safely.

Tony Ascrizzi - Electric Vehicle Systems
34 Paine St.
Worcester, MA 01605 (508) 799-5650
Web Page -->http://ElectricVehicleSystems.com
President -->New England Electric Auto Association
http://www.eaaev.org