Re: fragile Pt/Pd prints

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/10/01-10:29:11 AM Z

Carl Weese wrote:
> ... What I'm interested in isn't burnishing or scratching: if you have a
> test/scrap print around, try rubbing lightly in a highlight area and then
> inspecting under magnification. See if you find tiny areas of exposed white
> with a really tiny roll or squiggle of dark material nearby. ...

I tried three papers I had handy with rubbing tests as you suggest.
What I see is only a moving of the paper fibers without any roll or
squiggle of dark material. Tiny areas of white will appear, but this is
only because the fibers with metal have been moved aside. I would
classify this as an abrasion. I do not know if this resembles what you
are seeing from your description. Perhaps you should try to photograph
and upload image to your site for a better description of the problem.

If that does not provide an answer, then you may wish to detail the
materials techniques and conditions that produced this situation to see
if it can be replicated by others. But this will only be worthwhile if
the situation is consistently repeatable by yourself, which I gather
from your first post may be just intermittent.

Another issue but perhaps related. There have been sometimes in the
past that when I was razor etching a dark spec, a line of dark material
would form. It might be suspected this could be from intertwining
fibers containing the spec. Do fibers containing Pt and Pd metal have
an affinity for each other? This is sort of out there, but the only
experience I could think of resembling your squiggle of dark material.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/