RE: Paper for gum prints in Europe

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 06/13/01-12:47:53 PM Z

> A couple of observations:
>
> 1) I may be wrong, but I seem to recollect that Stephen Livick
> recently concluded that Lanaquarelle had changed and was no longer
> performing as well for him. It very well may be that even if you were
> able to secure a source, you might not be happy with the results. I
> have no basis for comparison, not having used this paper before, but a
> recent purchase of 20 sheets of Lanaquarelle was a total waste for me:
> it is one of the worst "clearing" papers I have ever used.

Wow. That's interesting. I found out today that the Papeterie de Lana,
which had produced Lanaquarelle, was purchased by International Papers,
and subsequently closed down. They told me Robertsau, another one of
International Papers' mills, has been producing Lanaquarelle for a
while. They said only the deckle edges look different now, but who
knows, maybe they aren't able to produce the exact same thing.

> 2) BFK works fine for me, but ONLY if I use the back (or "wire") side
> of the paper (you can see a faint screen imprint). If I use the
> front, I always get a grainy result where not all of the pigment
> releases.

Same here.

> Lately, I've been having really good results with hot press
> Fabriano Uno.

I'll check that out asap.

What a great forum.

Greetings