Re: The "best" paper for gum (Was:Paper for gum prints in Europe

From: Marc Bruhat (bruhat@magic.fr)
Date: 06/13/01-01:45:53 PM Z

I dream!
You believe that!
Mammamia!

marc
from paris

----- Original Message -----
From: lva <lva@pamho.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: The "best" paper for gum (Was:Paper for gum prints in Europe

Hello Katherine,

> If I'm not mistaken, Lanaquarelle is made in France, so one wouldn't
> think it would be hard to find in Europe.

Yes, it's made in France, exclusively for the US market. But it's not
being sold in Europe. That's the info I've just received from the
manufacturer. Gee, another reason to move to the US:)

> I'm glad you found a paper you like, but my tests have not shown
> Lanaquarelle particularly more wonderful than other papers for gum.

I'm very glad to hear that. In my tests, sized Lanaquarelle has been the
only paper that would release all the pigment from unexposed areas.

> It's fine, but doesn't stand out as "by far the best."

I'll qualify my statement. "By far the best for me and my current
purpose."

> There are a number of papers that can print gum equally nicely.

I was so frustrated this morning. Here's finally a paper that holds the
pigment where it's supposed to and releases it where it's supposed to,
but the nearest retailer sits in New Mexico, at least 10,000 miles away.
Okay, now there's hope again. Please, Katherine, name a few of those
papers you consider equally good. I'm doing multiple monochrome
printing, mainly with Winsor & Newton Lamp Black pigment. Which paper
shall I look for?

Greetings

Brahma