Re: cleaning glass negs

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 06/15/01-07:53:56 AM Z

DEAR DAVID,
    The most authoritative source of info that I know of is ADMINISTRATION
OF PHOTOGRAPHIC COLLECTIONS by Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler et al. You can get it
directly from the Society of American Archivists last known at 600 S.
Federal St., Suite 504 Chicago IL.
    I have been curating a collection of more than 2000 glass plate negs all
made between 1880 and 1937.
As long as you can be certain that the negs are gelatin/silver and NOT
collodion you can clean them with PEC-12 from Light Impressions AFTER
blowing (with a soft blower, not your breath) and brushing them off with an
extremely soft Hake brush to remove any grit which might adhere to the
emulsion and abrade it when cleaning. The glass side can be carefully
cleaned with a piece of cotton dampened with water.
    You can test for collodion by putting an extremely small amount of
PEC-12 on a cotton swab and barely touching a corner of one of the negs. If
it isn't gelatin/silver the emulsion will dissolve quickly. So PEC-12 would
be a NO-NO. I think collodion negs are better just carefully blown and
brushed off. Perhaps someone else on the list knows a better way to deal
with them.
    Good luck and keep me posted.
            CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                            BOB KISS