RE: cleaning glass negs

From: roger kockaerts (permadocument@yahoo.com)
Date: 06/16/01-12:29:47 AM Z

Dear list,

I would like to pick in on glass plate cleaning.
Standard procedure in photographic conservation is:

- make a suitable hard cushion (covered with lens
cleaning tissue)to be used as work surface;
- put your glass plate, emulsion side down onto this
surface;
- clean with swabs of cotton moistened with a solution
of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol (70% water);
- discard the soiled cotton ball into a coverd bowl of
water;
- keep cleaning in this way till absolutely clean;
- polish the glass with a dry cotton ball;
- put the glass plate emulsion side up and inspect its
surface; in most cases no further intervention is
necessary;
- if soiled, the emulsion should be dusted of with a
(very) soft brush (squirrel tail type);
- in the most extreme cases a humid intervention can
be mad with 1,1,1, trichlorethane; after such
intervention the emulsion will be in a very dry state
and should absorb water from the atmosphere to
equilibrate its natural water content (several days).

I hope this information is helpful,
with my best regards,

Roger Kockaerts
professor photographic conservation-restoration

<http://home.tvd.be/cr25588/ph7/>

=====
Roger Kockaerts
Permadocument - pH7