Re: cleaning glass negs

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/16/01-12:11:00 PM Z

Some may disagree with me but I would probably try a tray of distilled water with a little photoflo in it. Immurse the plate emulsion side up. Get a cotton ball wet and gently swoosh (scientific term) it around on the surface of the emulsion. Drain and let dry. If this works the water will get dirty and you may have to change it frequently. Start with a plate that you care the least about. I have used this method to clean film negs successfully. Note: some photographers used to varnish the emulsion side of the plates to protect them. The varnish would get cloudy with time.

Bob Schramm