Re: brush cleaning

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/16/01-01:25:51 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:
> Which brush do you buy and about what does it cost?

I have several various sizes of "White Sable" by Robert Simmons. The
shape is a flat chissel type. A photo of some are found on my web site
guide at thie following link:
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/guide/coating_equip.htm

I do not recall the price, but they are reasonable ($10-$20) and about
1/3 the price of red sable. They have lasted many years.
I have several red sable brushes by M. Grumbacher.

> I've found that hake
> brushes costing up to about $15 apiece (ca 3 inches wide) tend to shed --
> loose and broken bristles ...

Yes, and they s--- for Pt/Pd coating. They also can abrade papers more
easily.

> ... I gather that at about $40 apiece the brush is better
> quality, but since a gum printer needs maybe 5 or 6 for a day's work (to
> smooth you have to start with a clean dry brush) that gets to be a bit of
> an INVESTMENT....

So! Even though I'm talking Pt/Pd, would you want surgery with a
bargain knife instead of a professional scalpel? As any master
trades-person should know, the selection of the right tool is
important. And yes, anything can be used to push the coating around,
but consider the results.

I have found no difference between using the "White Sable" (a very fine
nylon) and the "Red Sable" (off the back of a furry little creature).
So one can save some capitol cost using the White Sable brushes.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/