Re: Dan Burkholder's book

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 06/19/01-02:20:39 AM Z

> In general, I'd agree that the book publishing industry is rotten,
> right up there with the music industry, when it comes to rewarding
> creators for their work; but I'd suggest that it's not fair to lump in
> good resellers with the bad. If Amazon pays relatively promptly and
> Borders does not, then why tar Amazon?

It is a BUSINESS. A writer writes and a publisher publishes. The
publisher wants to pay as little as possible and the writer wants as much
as possible. Please do not say the Publishing Industry is rotten. You are
painting the entire industry with the same brush. If it is a good book
and it gets published by a publisher, the author has done something very
few could do and that is a great accomplishment. A publisher will want
another book. Become a Koontz, King, Ludlum or Clancy, and the publisher
will fly to your house at your whim to peel you grapes for your dogs and
cats if you demand it.

Writers are suppliers of raw materials. Writers seem to have a special
something about them; or at least the general public thinks so. The
public does not understand that the books you purchase are fought over
and everyone wants their fair share. When you purchase a book from some
resellers, there is processing, packing and shipping -all that adds up to
cost.

The reseller cares little about the author and the above mentioned
on-line sellers will sell anything regardless of its merit. I wrote and
sell two books and I will have no problem getting an ISBN number so the
largest resellers will list. It is money and profit, sink or swim.

Seems to me that you are equating the publishing industry with the
sellers. Yes, the sellers sell what the writer writes and the publisher
publishes and I agree, it is not appropriate or sensible to assume every
seller is the same.

>>Oh and PS: I myself MUCH prefer paying by check to putting an item on
the
>>charge card. Many reasons, but suffice to say I find it simpler and
safer.
>>It is of course not quicker, since I send the check by mail. But then I
>>have plenty to do in the meantime.

Just so people will know, credit cards are not safer or more dangerous
than paying by a check. If they have your checking account information
they can have your balance. Common belief is that credit cards are
inherently dangerous to use over the Internet, but if they have your
account number and expiration date, they have all they need to cause you
trouble.

Conversely, if they have your checking account info, an unscrupulous
"Merchant" can drain your checking account. Some banks will not protect
your checking account. It has been this way for a long time. My bank will
not protect my checking account - I asked them. However, my credit card
company will protect me.

I advise caution either way.

HCM