Re: Dan Burkholder's book

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam_pine@cape.com)
Date: 06/19/01-06:17:51 AM Z

Yes, it is a business; but from the standpoint of most authors (I'm
excepting those extremely successful authors who can demand their own
terms), just as for most musicians (excepting to some extent the most
successful), the contracts highly favor the purely business end, the
publishers and resellers. Quite often the behavior of both sure smells
rotten, e.g. how returns are managed, the length of time authors have
to wait to be paid (I know, this is to cover returns), promotion
budgets, remaindering (I know, this is a tax issue, but the practice
means that a lot of copies are sold with little or no remuneration to
authors, not that I don't appreciate cheaper books, just not sure it's
ultimately healthy).

I'm not disputing that it's a business, nor have I confused anything
here, fully understand the difference between publishers and
resellers. Originally I was merely trying to point out that use of the
term "give" when it comes to the cut taken by resellers is incorrect,
that they earn their cut by adding value, such as packaging, shipping,
transaction management, advertising, and the like. And that this is
particularly true in the case of Amazon, since a book gains so much in exposure.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer
Pinehill Softworks Inc.