Re: flourescent lights

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@tnaccess.com)
Date: 06/19/01-09:53:06 AM Z

Judy wrote:

> Shannon, how far apart are the bulbs, and how far from the bulbs is your
> paper? Also, why aren't you using black-light fluorescents? With closely
> ranked bulbs, and paper about 3 inches away, "normal" flourescent time
> (blacklight, that's BL -- not BLB) is 3 to 8 minutes.

The bulbs are right next to each other, and about 2-3" away from the frame.

The reason I got the full spectrum bulbs is that I read in Post Factory that
blacklight bulbs were less efficient than aquarium lights, and I could only
find one aquarium bulb at the store. I reasoned that the full spectrum
lights might be as good or better than aquarium lights, so I got those. Was
I wrong? I could probably exchange them.

> I'll add that I've tested the "other" fluorescents; they are markedly
> inferior for cyano. In fact you did well to get "D-max" at all. For $10 a
> bulb (on web) vs. $5 or so for "regular" fluorescent, it's a false
> economy.

What is your web source for black light bulbs?

> See also "Light Carpentry", Post-Factory #6, page 20.

I need to get that.

I got the longer scale whatman fine printmaking paper yesterday and I'm
going to do some experiments today. I was sort of surprised that New York
Central Art Supply didn't do a better job of packaging it, though. They
rolled it up and the roll got squished in transit, making some pretty big
dents in the paper. Fortunately I cut it up small e nough that that
probably won't matter, and maybe if you soaked it for printmaking the bent
places would disappear. When I've ordered paper from Daniel Smith, they
always shipped it flat.

--shannon