Re: Dan Burkholder's book

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/19/01-07:20:13 AM Z

Hey, my interest is to work at my art, craft, whatever. I am not a
Writer. If someone wishes to own one of my photographs, I'll sell it to
them. If someone wishes to hire my time for consultation, that can be
sold too. There is a world of difference between a Writer and a writer
of information. It cannot be too soon enough that information is
available for the asking.

I have offered my Guide to Platinum Palladium Photographic Printmaking
over the Internet at no charge. No retailers, no bookstores, no
shippers, no waiting to get paid, no taxes. Just for the love of doing
it. I feel that the process is difficult enough and demands a solid
commitment of time, finances, and skill, that why should one have to
purchase information, especially when they are not even sure if that
information will be suitable for their style or pertinent to their
interest.

Well, I am not alone in this feeling. MIT (Massachusetts Institute of
Technology) recently announced that they received the funding and are
going to place all of the curriculum, research, and whatever done and
offered at MIT onto the Internet, accessible for free. Yes, one will be
able to review all the courses or consult graduate and research findings
on-line and without a fee. And yes, it is not the same as paying for
the services of an instructor or enrolling in a particular program. But
it is an indicator of a strong interest to make knowledge and
information available to all.

It is my hope others will follow. And it certainly seems beneficial
that one could gain an education with only the desire to do so. (And it
is the education that is really important, not the degree to leverage
some job.)

As to Dan, I have both his book and one of his prints (actually made
from an analog enlarged negative). I will always cherish his print and
think of him as a photographer. If he wants to make a buck on his book,
fine. I just hope he can keep the focus of his efforts to his
photography.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/