Re: Another Lighting Question

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/19/01-01:48:40 PM Z

Keith Gerling wrote:
> ... I have a self-constructed bank of BL
> bulbs that usually has a problem "coming alive". ...

> ... a lit fixture can occasionally go dim in the middle of an exposure ...

As Judy suggested, check the ballast. Definitely ballast or maybe lamp
if mid exposure.

Also there should be a grounded wire or metal in the vicinity of each
lamp body, which can help the arc get started (the better designed
starters may not need this). However I would suggest it not be a
reflective surface as mention by Kerik unless it is painted flat white.
A mirror type reflective surface can produce non-uniformities at the
exposure location, especially if the reflector is curved or dented.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/