Re: Another Lighting Question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/19/01-08:50:02 PM Z

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Keith Gerling wrote:
> > ... I have a self-constructed bank of BL
> > bulbs that usually has a problem "coming alive". ...
>
> > ... a lit fixture can occasionally go dim in the middle of an exposure ...
>
> As Judy suggested, check the ballast. Definitely ballast or maybe lamp
> if mid exposure.

Judy said "starter," perhaps dating herself -- all my old fixtures have
starters. I wouldn't know how to check ballast. Perhaps you can tell us.
But replacing a ballast costs as much as replacing the fixture.

When I had trouble similar to what Keith describes, it was either

1. cured by new starter

2. cured by more firmly seating the bulb (twirling the pins around until
they sunk in)

or

3. one fixture refused to be cured. Wouldn't turn on at all except at odd
moments. Finally trashed it.

But Keith, was it you who said you had silver foil under the bulbs? If
that's crinkly kitchen type foil, I'd bet the farm it's diffusing your
image. Well, maybe not with a digital neg, but sure did with silver
gelatin neg. Try a 21-step with and without -- you may be amazed. (This
shows most clearly on smooth paper and cyano, pt/pd, or VDB.)

Judy