Re: Another Lighting Question

From: G.Penate (penate@home.com)
Date: 06/18/01-08:16:01 PM Z

> > While we're on the subject of black light fixtures, I was hoping someone
> > could help me with a problem I have. I have a self-constructed bank of
BL
> > bulbs that usually has a problem "coming alive". The fixtures and
ballasts
> > are new (seven generic two-bulb units from Home Depot). When I apply
power,
> > several of the units merely flicker feebly and won't light until I rub
them
> > repeatedly with a wad of aluminum foil. Even then, I have to be
vigilant
> > because a lit fixture can occasionally go dim in the middle of an
exposure.
> > I've checked my wiring and grounds and everything looks fine.

Swap an unit that fails with another that doesn't, if the problem follows
the lamp, then you know the lamp is the problem, if the problem stays, then
swap the starter with the another one of an unit that does not fail, if the
problem follows the starter, the starter is the problem and if it stays,
then your ballast is the problem. (note: your setup may not use starters).
If the above doesn't fix your problem, then you probably have a loose wire
and or screw, make sure all the connections are tight.

Guillermo