Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Photography

From: Nineteenth-century Photography (ncp@fitzroydearborn.co.uk)
Date: 06/20/01-08:47:11 AM Z

Alt-photo-process list members might be interested in the new project
announced by its editor, Pam Roberts, in the message below. I'm the
commissioning editor of the encyclopedia, and I and my colleagues at Fitzroy
Dearborn will be happy to receive any offers to write entries that you might
wish to make. Apologies for cross-postings.
Many thanks,
Jonathan Dore
ncp@fitzroydearborn.co.uk
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/london/ncp/intro.htm

In early 2003 Fitzroy Dearborn will publish the Encyclopedia of
Nineteenth-Century Photography. As editor of this book I am hoping that
researchers or those with a particular interest in this field may be
interested in contributing articles to it. Below, you will find details of
the project and information on how to contact me.

Aims and Description
The Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Photography will be a single-volume,
illustrated, large-format work with double-columned pages, and will contain
some 650 main entries, plus an appendix containing shorter entries on a
further 650 minor and emerging figures. It will include entries on
individuals (photographers, inventors, critics, patrons, and artists from
other fields who wrote about photography); on equipment, techniques,
processes, and formats; on artistic movements, aesthetic questions, and
criticism; on the development of the commerce of photography; and on the
kinds of tasks photography was called on to perform (such as portraiture,
documentary, and ethnographic studies), as well as survey articles on the
development of photography within individual countries and on the continuity
of themes across the decades. The Encyclopedia will also be equipped with an

List of Entries
The List of Entries, broken down into categories for convenience, can be
viewed on the project's website
(http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/london/ncp/intro.htm) or, if you prefer, can
be sent to you by email as an attached file (in Word 97), or sent by post.
In the actual book, the main entries will be presented in a simple A-Z
sequence, with cross-references where useful. The Appendix, also arranged
A-Z, will follow immediately after. The entry list has been drawn up by the
editor with advice from the project's Board of Advisers, whose names appear
on the website.

Within each broad subject area, the longer survey articles will provide
points of entry into the subject, which will then, through
cross-referencing, lead the reader on to entries on more specific topics
within that area. Cross-referencing in the text will also allow "sideways"
points of entry from other articles.

Format and approach of entries
Each main entry will consist of an analytical essay (varying in length from
500 to 5,000 words) with a list of further reading, and, in the case of
individuals, a separate short paragraph of biographical information. A
sample essay - on Fred Holland Day - can be examined on the website (at
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/london/ncp/sample.htm) to give you an idea of
the general structure and approach that we are looking for. It is hoped that
reading lists will be extensive, detailed and up-to-date, and thus an
essential component of the book's usefulness.

Procedure for contributors
If you would like to contribute articles to the Encyclopedia, please look
through the list of entries and let us know which entries you would be
interested in writing (please note that entries for the Appendix will not be
assigned separately, but only in larger groups of 40-50). It would be
helpful if you could list **all** the entries you could write, and then give
some indication of the **maximum number** you could take on. An indication
of order of preference would also be extemely useful, as there is bound to
be considerable duplication of choice among potential contributors. The
wider your choice, the greater will be my ability to match it with your
assignments. Your offers will be logged, and the assignment of entries to
contributors will be made in early July, so please contact me as soon as
possible if you would like to contribute. A more specific brief on the
ground to be covered in each entry or group of entries will be available
when the assignments are made. The deadline for submission of articles will
be **15 December 2001**.

Please email/post/fax your replies to:

ncp@fitzroydearborn.co.uk

The Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Photography
Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers
310 Regent Street
London
W1B 3AX
United Kingdom

Fax: +44 (0)20 7636 6982

Terms for contributors
For their first 2,000 words contributors will receive a copy of the
Encyclopedia on publication (its retail price will be about £95/$135). You
will be paid, on publication, at the rate of £50 / $75 per 1,000 words (of
commissioned length) for any writing over the initial 2,000 words.

Every contributor's name will appear at the end of his/her essay(s).
Contributors will be listed in the front of the book, and credits, with
details of any academic or relevant professional affiliations, will appear
at the back.

Finally, may I add a few words about the publishers and myself. Fitzroy
Dearborn, which has offices in Chicago and London, was founded in 1994 to
commission and produce high-quality reference books. Previous Fitzroy
Dearborn publications, a number of which have gained awards, include the
Encyclopedia of Latin American Literature (edited by Verity Smith, 1997),
Dictionary of Women Artists (edited by Delia Gaze, 1997), Encyclopedia of
the Essay (edited by Tracy Chevalier, 1998), the Reference Guide to Russian
Literature (edited by Neil Cornwell, 1998), the Encyclopedia of Paleontology
(edited by Ronald Singer, 1999), and the Encyclopedia of Greece and the
Hellenic Tradition (edited by Graham Speake, 2000). Full information on
these and other titles can be found on FDP's website at
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com. I have been Curator of the Royal
Photographic Society, based in Bath, UK, since 1989, and am the author of a
number of books, book chapters, and exhibition catalogues (see the project
website for further details).

If you experience any difficulty reaching the project website and it would
be helpful to have Word files of the list and the sample essays emailed to
you as attachments (total size of the two files is about 85kb) please let me
know.

I hope that you will be able to take part in what I believe to be an
exciting and useful project. If however you cannot, but have colleagues who
may be interested, please feel free to pass this information on to them or
direct them to the project's website at
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/london/ncp/intro.htm.

Yours sincerely,

Pam Roberts