electronic ballasts

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/20/01-01:36:46 PM Z

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, ken watson wrote:

> The counter to this are electronic Ballast's . I have not run across any yet
> but I do know "Light's of America" was looking at these to lower cost. I do
> not know if they succeeded. BUT electronics fail, Iron and copper does not.

Five or more years ago I got a catalog from Motorola and another from GE
about electronic ballasts. They were both made by Motorola, but GE sold
them under its own name. The Motorola catalog was so clear and organized I
rushed out & bought some Motorola stock. Tho now older & wiser, I realize
that the slicker and glibber & sillier & flashier a report, the more
likely to make money.

AT THAT TIME, the ballasts were only made for 48 inch bulbs and only for
the T8 (narrow) size. The plan at that time was for all fluorescents to
become T8 as it was supposedly more energy efficient. (The plan at THIS
time is to xxxxxxx??????????? fluorescents, since it has been noticed that
all contain mercury.)

No BL bulb that I knew of then or since came in that size. Nor have I ever
heard more about those thumb plug ballasts, despite several inquiries.
Could never even get a price.

The advantages were, plug in (no wiring), no warm up time, no change in
temperature over use, no heat generated, no buzz in itself or your radio,
among others I forget.

The disadvantages were.... I dunno, maybe they could only sell SUVs.

Judy