Dan answers the where-to-buy-book question

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 06/21/01-06:47:46 PM Z

>On the other side, as D. Burkholder is on this list from time to time, maybe
>he would clear to us if he rather prefer to make business directly with us
>on this list or not. Why interpret if we can have the real one?

Gosh, I came back from 10 days of travel (not checking email) to discover
lots of dialog about how best to purchase "Making Digital Negatives for
Contact Printing."

Without a doubt, it's better for me if you purchase the book directly
from me. Though Amazon and others have been steady customers with an
admirable payment record, the simple math makes for more $$ for me if you
order directly. Those interested can order from my web site at
www.danburkholder.com (to go directly to the book order page:
http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/main_pages/book_info_main_page1.htm)
or you can call 877-290-7757 (toll-free for orders only please).

We approached Amazon about stocking the book so they don't have to scare
away potential buyers with that "book ships in 3-4 weeks" addendum. It's
crazy since we ship to them often and almost always within a day of
receiving their order. Alas, Amazon wanted a 70% discount to consider
stocking the book (instead of ordering smaller quantities every couple
weeks). That was just out of the question for obvious reasons.

Jeffrey Mathias said in his message...

>There is a world of difference between a Writer and a writer
>of information. It cannot be too soon enough that information is
>available for the asking.
>If he wants to make a buck on his book,
>fine. I just hope he can keep the focus of his efforts to his
>photography.

Now how do I properly respond to comments that subtlety suggest that one
is less than generous if they actually charge for their
effort/knowledge/talent etc? I guess I'll somewhat clumsily declare that
my first devotion is to photography and my second to art. For two years
my artistic efforts have been muted as I've assumed the role of
facilitator for others as they struggle to enter the most exciting period
we've ever witnessed in the history of photography. That's OK. I enjoy
teaching and get lots of emotional reward from sharing information, even
when I'm not doing it for free. As for charging for the book...yep, the
income helps pay for the year of my life I surrendered while writing a
350 page resource, most of which demanded original technical research.

(Fair warning, Jeff: we're working on instructional videos/CDROMs that,
though our primary goal is to provide valuable information ((with
emphasis on VALUABLE)), will not be free for the asking.) >;^D

As for "focusing efforts on...photography," next year I'm going to be
saying "no" much more often when it comes to teaching opportunities
around the country and abroad, concentrating more on my creative
photography. In fact, I just shipped a show two weeks ago that included
my first color work in nearly a quarter century. Many of the prints (all
from images made in the past several months) were 20 X 30 inch color
pigment prints (life of 200+ years before any noticeable fading) that I
made right in the studio on fine cotton watercolor papers. I could never
get excited about color when it was so fugitive and lacked the control
that I demand in my work. Digital imaging has changed all the rules in
color printing just as it has for our black and white work and negative
enlarging.

Dan Burkholder

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."