Re: Mean Spirited Dick

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/23/01-01:57:56 PM Z

At 08:58 PM 6/22/2001 +0000, you wrote:
Callie Type says:

>Are you some kind of hotshot in the New Mexico Republican Party, or something?

First off I just picked this statement out of your porridge post to show
how bizarre it is. It is obviously some kind of political rant that has
something to do with political issues. I'll repeat it again for emphasis:

>Are you some kind of hotshot in the New Mexico Republican Party, or something?

No actually I am not.

I am a liberal, a registered Democrat, and donate regularly to the
Democratic Party. I have a flock of machine signed 4 color glossy photo's
of Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Socks, and Buddy to prove it. I am not sure why
my political affiliation has any relevance here. I know there are some fine
Republcans on the List. Some of my best friends are Republicans. Clearly
you think something is wrong with Republicans. To start mud-slinging here
on the list which as far I know is politically neutral, goes beyond good
taste, good manners, or good sense.

Since you brought it up, some background. (Sorry to drag you folks through
this)

I was stationed in Okinawa in helicopter outfit in 1962-63. Our job was
clandestine support for Air America and we flew Helicopters stuffed into
C124's in and out of Udorn Thailand. I never served in actual combat in
Vietnam. (Sorry if this is too much Alpha Male stuff but it is part of my
history that can't be erased.)

After my Honorable Dishcharge I was a member of Veterans Against the War, I
was one of 25 founding members of the California Peace and Freedom Party in
1967 and served as it's Finance Chairman. I was a delegate to the P&F
conventions for several years. I was a delegate to the New Politics
Convention in Chicago in 1967. I was a member of the Board of Directors of
the San Fernando Valley Chapter of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)
and have a file folder full of restraining orders and arrest warrants. I
was active in the Civil Rights Movement during my last year in the Marine
Corps and used the services of the ACLU to protect my ass from a Court
Martial for "conduct unbecoming a Marine." I was an Non-Commissioned
officer with an otherwise unblemished record with 5.0 marks. I was to be
charged under Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I still
know the article. To wit:

>934. ART. 134. GENERAL ARTICLE
>Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and
>neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed
>forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces,
>and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this
>chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special
>or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the
>offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

I was told by my commanding officer that I was bringing discredit to the
United States Marine Corps by my activities which he asserted were
Communist inspired. My Commanding Officer was member of the John Birch
Society, and he had a plaque on his office wall to prove it. I was not
involved in any arrestable violations, just demonstrations and I received
some press coverage because I was an active duty Marine. I never was active
in demonstrations while in uniform. A.L. Werin, head of the Southern
California ACLU, came to my defense and no charges were filed. Seems it
went all the way to McNamara and down. (Come to think about it, I am
something of a trouble maker!)

I have continued to support progressive and anti-censorship causes. When I
was on the Board of MOCA Photo Council I was one of the primary drafters of
the Museum of Contemporary Arts letter of support for the Mapplethorpe
exhibit in Cleveland when the curator was arrested.

Why all this ramble about my background? You brought it up, and I am proud
of my support of progressive causes, I want to show how you make
politically biased and totally off-the wall assumptions to support some
preconceived notion of who I am. I suspect you may also find it bizarre
that I also have a great deal of respect for conservatives who
intelligently and honorably support their causes.

I can also make mince-meat out of your other assertions, especially some
poppy-assed insinuations that I am leading some cadre of platinum printing
folks around like some kind of woo woo guru -- Sheese!

I can see it now: Every one in the Lotus position. Ahhhoooom Ahhhooom,
brush brush brush, Ahhooom Ahhooom, brush brush brush.

And what an insult you have made to them.

And since you have little astuteness in judging other people as shown by
your off-topic assertion about my political sensibilities, this debate is
like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person and I am beginning to
get bored with it.

I don't ever recall calling anyone a name here, ever. Just recently I had
my nose compared to that of Pinnochio's and during the spat you refer to, I
was called a cry-baby and worse. I let it go. It's part and parcel of the
game. If you believe I have ever impugned anyone's character here please
check the archives, post the statement, and I will issue and immediate
public apology. And yes, in the heat of the moment I may have slipped up.

If you are referring to the incident where someone here in what appeared to
be a respected alt-photo journal gave instructions on how to make gold
chloride on a kitchen stove, I made no bones about the danger involved. It
was a bad idea then and is a bad idea now. To criticize the work of an
author is not character assassination. Stephen Livick had a problem with
Post-Factory and its policies, he posted it, and I didn't discipline him
for it. He, as far as I have seen, only criticized the magazine and its
policies etc. Golly gee, are we now supposed to accept everything whole
cloth that one of our own publishes without critical comment or assume that
any critical comment is a mean spirited personal attack on its author? For
my money Stephen is the most technically astute gum printer around and I
respect his opinion in these matters, and if he wants to say he thinks it
is only good for lining his bird cage, he can have at it. If I disagree, I
will post my own views, not stop him from posting his.

I've published books and articles in magazines and I certainly don't expect
criticism of its content to reflect on me personally.

But sometimes I am mean spirited? -- especially when it comes to character
assassination!

I agree with Nick, I don't believe you are who you say you are. The post
has the bizarreness of an Echo Troll.

I think it is best you stick to the topics the list was designed for and
get out of the gutter.

My apologies to everyone here on the list for having this happen. With no
sense of false modesty, I posted a message that I was delighted to be
honored by the RPS. I am unashamedly proud of the honor since I have had a
great deal of respect for the organization and wholeheartedly support it.
Perhaps I should have hung my head down and said in the best Gary Cooper
manner, "Aw shucks." I didn't.

But holy wizzers, this?

Obviously to a handful of people here I am some sort of target.

Enough. No more.

Loving you all.

--Dick Sullivan