Correction Re: Livick

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/23/01-08:05:14 PM Z

Corrections re Livick's gum printing manual:

The "text" totals 62 pages of which 14 are blanks titled "Gum Printing
Notes." With large type & double spacing there are probably from 100 to
250 words per page.

The paper is NOT glossy (that was another book).

Here's a typical section in full:

--------------------------------
Inkjet Negative

This is a computer method that can achieve interesting results using an
Ink-Jet or Laser-Jet printer. There are excellent books available which
explain exactly how to do this. Both of the following suppliers carry
these types of books:

Bostick & Sullivan [web address]
Photographers Formulary [web address]

----------------------

Well, that's not fair. There are sections with more complete info -- tho
probably some with less.

As I've said many times and think again whenever I see them: Livick's
large gum prints are a remarkable achievement technically, and often very
beautiful, at least in glossy repro which is the only way I've seen them.

10 are shown in 3 pages at the back of the book, and it could be argued
that to see what can be done in gum is worth the price. But for those not
wishing to set up to spray emulsion or have large halftone negatives made
in a lab (his are as large as 30x40 inches and combined in groups to reach
mural size), working information is scanty. In fact for those who do wish
to spray, working information is scanty.

However, we can all agree with the opening passage of the chapter on
trouble shooting :

"....The important thing is not to get too frustrated. Be as consistent as
you can and consider all factors that might be causing problems. The
capability to figure out what has gone wrong when printing is a most
valuable asset."

Judy