real names

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 06/23/01-08:21:08 PM Z

I have been asked many times if I could make it so that participants had
to use their real name in this mailing list.

Unfortunately it is simply too easy to fake an email address, and it is a
tremendous amount of work to verify that an unsecure email ID is
real.

There are a variety of authentication protocols available PGP etc., but
these are not yet common enough to insist that everyone adopt them.

I personally put more value on something associated with a real name than
an obvious psuedonym. But I do like Mark Twain ;) (a psuedonym of the
American author, Samuel Langhorne Clemens)

I'm afraid we will have to judge each posting by its intrinsic value, and
list participants, not so much by their ID/name, but by the respect they
have earned through their contributions to the list.

Afterall we're not doing banking here are we? We're just talking :)

Gord Holtslander
List Manager

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2