Re: Shooting for Alternative Processes

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 06/24/01-07:15:41 PM Z

In a message dated 06/24/2001 19:34:38, EWRPhoto@aol.com wrote:

<<...Since how and what I photograph determines the process, I was
wondering if any of you will be there earlier enough so we could meet and
talk about the aproach to photographing for alternative processes....
Ernestine Ruben

Hi Ernestine,

You bring up a point I've long wondered about. Namely, when going on a photo
excursion do most let the subject dictate the process and then adapt our
methods at the time? Or, do we go out with the thought e.g., "Today I'm
going to photograph a subject to print in gum bichromate" and then tune into
suitable subjects? I get the feeling that many members on the list are
fairly exclusive in terms of process, particularly the platinum printers and
pyromaniacs. Or do most of us sort of average things when heading out with
our equipment and then do some darkroom or digital magic later to fit the
image to a process? (For example, I believe Dan Burkholder has stated he now
shoots mainly C41 color film and then does the required manipulation to
arrive at the final process and print.)

In the past year I've dumped a lot of smaller equipment and picked up several
larger format systems with the idea of weaning myself from enlarging
silverprints or negatives and concentrating on contact processes. So, that
helps since I'm able to slip a 120 folder (my new point and shoot) in the
case with the larger format camera and cover some of the bases. Still, which
lens, film, etc., to take along remains kind of a dilemma. I'm about to try
Bergger 200 and pyro since it sounds very flexible and is available in the
larger formats, but I'll still have to pick up more holders and a mule to
cover color as well as monochrome.

But, back to the question: Are most of us selective/exclusive or pack rats
when we head out to photograph and do we have the final process in mind
before we go?

Joe