Re: POP Contrast

From: Brian Ellis (bellis60@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/27/01-02:17:44 PM Z

Negative contrast is controlled by exposure? I guess I'll be revealing my
ignorance here but I thought negative contrast was controlled by
development (i.e. as you develop, the shadows reach close to their maximum
density relatively quickly, the highlights less quickly, so as you continue
developing beyond a given point the highlights continue increasing in
density until the shoulder is reached, while the shadows remain
approximately the same, thereby allowing you to control the density of the
highlights relative to the shadows - that is to say control the contrast of
the negative - by increasing or decreasing development time. Wrong? If
wrong, and if contrast is in fact controlled by exposure rather than
development, how do you do it?