Proving that we exist

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/29/01-03:17:22 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

 Heck, if we all see each other in the flesh maybe we can put an
> end to all this speculation about who actually exists...

 I hadn't thought about that when I decided not to come, that one
almost has to show up in order to prove that one is a real person. I am
thoroughly fed up with all these speculations and accusations and
imputations. A while back I discovered that great significance was being
placed by a couple of people on the fact that, unknown to me, my posts
were set to reply to me rather than to the list. (And what purpose that
would serve for me, if my intent were less than honorable, I can't
fathom.) It turned out that when my son set up my e-mail preferences, he
set it up that way, and someone on the list was kind enough to tell me
how to change it. But why every little thing is assumed to have
malevolent significance... do you think that maybe we could try
operating on the idea that sometimes things happen that don't mean
anything particularly?

The other day I was sitting here by the Pacific Ocean at 10 am and mail
was coming in from people I know to be in Chicago and on the east coast,
with time stamps like 4 and 6 pm.. (I didn't check the internal headers,
no doubt they were correct.) When something like that happens, my first
thought is not oh-oh, someone's up to something! but, oh well, computers
doing weird stuff.

kt