Re: palladium questions

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 03/03/01-01:00:40 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Thanx for the palladium answers, you all. I have one more question: how
> long will the solution 1 and 2 keep and what is the sign it is bad? I read
> that if it is old, it'll put little black specks in your print. Anything
> else? I know that there was a test that someone had for the solution 1 and
> 2.
> Chris

If by solution 1 (A) and 2 (B), ferric oxalate and ferric
oxalate with Pot Chlorate added you must define bad. Fogged
highlights will be made with old ferric. You can help the
ferric last longer by adding oxalic acid to it. Jeffrey has
an extensive write up on his site. THe are several ways to
determine if your ferric has gone off, turned into ferrous
oxalate.

If you have some 30% H202, you can add it to your
ferric/ferrous oxalate to begin the process that can restore
it to useable form. I have instruction on how to make
ferric oxalate on my site as well.

I have not seen that old ferric causes black specks, where
did you read that?

a solution of Pot. Fer. Cy. will turn blue in the presence
of ferrous ions. I use just a pinch in a small 50 ml sample
of distilled water.

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9