Re: book

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/03/01-04:30:52 PM Z

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Joe Portale wrote:

> The good side is that I have been collaborating with Sandy King on a
> workbook series that will be published in Spain some time in the late
> summer. The salted paper booklet will be included in this project.

My own feeling is that, *especially* compared to what we spend on
materials, the cost of any book is trifling, and the book form so much
more coherent (to this old consciousness-one-type person anyway) that I
really really really don't understand wanting to download stuff like
that willy nilly in separate sheets of paper.

However, if the world did as I think it should do -- well, 'twould be a
very different place, as I may have remarked previously, and I realize
folks nowadays expect to download everything -- babies, banned substances,
as well as printer drivers from the Web. On the bright side, think of it
as beta siting... you may get some questions, feedback, and other useful
response from "the list" which will help refine later version. (I alas
didn't get this bonanza, because this server doesn't take an attachment.)

I think something else may be in for some discussion at this point, along
the lines of print-journalists-of-the-world-unite, you have nothing to
lose. Period. It seems surly to refuse permission to website, reprint,
handout, etc., as I have given recently a couple of times... but the time
may be to make that a POLICY. Because, by second or 3rd remove it's
entirely in the hands of 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, etc. parties. The
*principles* of copyright may remain, but for all practical purposes gone
in such cases. And what have we gotten for *our* pains?

My thinking now is that, in the same way I tell telemarketers, nothing
personal but on general principles I DO NOT RESPOND TO TELEMARKETING,
goodbye CLICK!, it may be time -- especially with great ease of digital
duplicating -- to say no. In any event, something along those lines may be
a policy whose time has come for small publishers such as ourselves.
Odds are, also, if we do it ensemble, it's more meaningful and acceptable
than if one eccentric blue meanie does it alone.

Anyway, a thought...

best,

Judy